Sunday, July 16, 2006

curiosity killed the cat

What is the difference between those who, for lack of a better saying: are simply insanely curious, and never stop learning; and those who never really care about much besides what is right in front of them? It is precisely that curiosity that drives the machine of humanity forward and, I think more importantly, each one of us forward personally. I think every one of my friends have this quality - I think that's telling and I certainly enjoy people who are insatiably curious. Tammi certainly has this quality. I don't think we would enjoy so much together without it. (By the way, this is a part of one of a very curious person's painting - Tammi's. It is Erin studying - the person on the wall doesn't exist in our house or on our wall. It is someone from the past looking out to the future. I thought it an appropriate picture!) Anyway, kids have an almost universal curiosity. When does it leave and why do some people retain it and some not? How do we pass it to our kids or at least keep it alive? It seems to me to be one of the foundations of success. Here are some good quotes about being curious.



  • I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift would be curiosity.


Eleanor Roosevelt



  • Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.


Samuel Johnson



  • I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.


Albert Einstein



  • Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.


Voltaire



  • Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.


Arnold Edinborough



  • The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave A Comment

Hey! Leave a comment - good, bad, short, long, whatever. I'd like to hear from you.